You can use batman.js with any backend!
Batman.js is not just for Ruby on Rails! Here are batman.js’s dependencies:
- A RESTful JSON API
- A way to compile the CoffeeScript app (may I recommend gulp.js?)
- A way to provide HTML templates (again, gulp.js worked nicely for me!)
As long as you can meet those requirements, you can use batman.js with any backend: Node, Ruby, Python, Java, Go, Rust, Erlang, PHP … you get the drift.
Why Is Batman.js Associated with Rails?
A few reasons:
- A lot of batman.js’s syntax and features are designed with Rails in mind
- Batman.js was extracted from Shopify, which is a Ruby on Rails application
- Rails meets all of the above requirements out of the box
Also, there are a few batman.js goodies for Rails devs: the
batman.rails CoffeeScript extra and the
batman-rails Ruby gem.